Schedule a consultation 816.331.9968

Family Law Court in Cass County

Most family law issues for Cass County, Missouri are handled through the Domestic Division of the 17th Judicial Circuit in Harrisonville, Missouri. The Domestic Division may hear family law issues, including: 

If you have any questions about your family court case in Cass County, contact the Higher Level Legal Law Firm today at 816-331-9968.

Where is the Family Court in Cass County, Missouri?

The 17th Judicial Circuit Court handles most court issues in both Cass County and Johnson County. The courthouse is located at: 

17th Judicial Circuit Court
2501 W. Mechanic St.
Harrisonville, MO 64701
Ph: 816-380-8227
Fx: 816-380-8225

Location and Parking

The court is located in the Cass County Justice Center off W. Mechanic Street, just west of I-49/US-71. There is a parking lot available next to the courthouse.

From I-49 Southbound, take exit 159 to MO-2 West/Mechanic St.Turn left onto MO-2 W. Mechanic St. and the complex will be on your left. 

From I-49 Northbound, take exit 159 to MO-2 West/Mechanic St.Turn left onto MO-2 W. Mechanic St. Drive under the highway and the complex will be on your left.  

Filing for Divorce in Cass County   

A divorce begins with filing a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage and accompanying forms and fees. To qualify as a resident for the purpose of dissolving your marriage, you must have lived in Missouri for 90 days immediately prior to filing for divorce -- unless you are a member of the U.S. military and are stationed in Missouri. If you qualify, you can begin your divorce process by filing your papers at the 17th Judicial Circuit Court in Harrisonville. 

Child Custody Disputes in Cass County   

Child custody is one of the most common issues for family court in Missouri. Unlike a divorce, child custody and visitation issues can return to the court every couple of years. Parents may want to modify child visitation orders, enforce parenting plans, or try and take visitation or custody away from the other parent. 

Child custody determinations generally begin with a divorce, when the parents were married. The first step in most child custody disputes, whether related to divorce or not, generally involves mediation. Family law courts find mediation is advantageous in most custody and visitation disputes where the parents involved can reach an agreement that works best for both people involved. 

Under the local court rules of the 17th Circuit Court in Cass County, whenever there are contested issues of child custody and/or visitation, the parties shall participate in 2 hours of mediation. 

Mediation is not always successful and the court may end up making a visitation and custody determination based on the best interests of the child. 

Child Support in Cass County   

Child support is generally determined as part of child custody, based on the Missouri Child Support Guidelines. A parent may need to return to family court to modify child support or to enforce support. If a parent is having problems getting support, they may begin by contacting the Family Support Division of the Missouri Department of Social Services (FSD). 

To open a child support case, contact FSD at 1-866-313-9960. If the FSD cannot resolve the issue, the Cass County Prosecutors' Office may act to enforce support orders. 

Other Domestic and Family Court Issues in Cass County   

The 17th Circuit Court in Cass County handles many other family matters besides divorce, alimony, child support, and child custody. Talk to your Cass County family law attorney about any other family court issues, including: 

You Do Not Need to Go to Family Court Alone

The court system can be confusing for anyone not familiar with how the court operates. There are a number of special legal terms, filing requirements, fees, notices, and procedures that the court operates on that are unique to the court. It can be intimidating to go to the courthouse and the court employees may not offer a lot of help. 

The consequences of a family court hearing can be serious and long-lasting. An experienced family law attorney will be able to explain the process to you, give you options, and make sure you do not get taken advantage of by the court system. If you have questions about a divorce, child custody hearing, or child support dispute, contact the Higher Level Legal Law Firm in Raymore today. Contact us online or by calling (816) 331-9968.

Don't Hesitate To Contact Us Today

If you need assistance or have questions, please call us at (816) 331-9968 to schedule a consultation. We are here to help you through this process.